March 25, 2014

Vince Gill & Amy Grant are coming to St. George, Utah

Amy Grant & Vince Gill come to Tuacahn

Amy Grant & Vince Gill come to Tuacahn

Fri, April 11, 2014

$39.50-$69.50

Call the Tuacahn Box Office today: 435-652-3300 www.Tuacahn.org

Guests attending Tuacahn shows and concerts receive a 10% discount on the regular room rate at BEST WESTERN Coral Hills.  Just show your tickets to the front desk agent at check in.

Vince Gill has sold more than 26 million albums. He has earned 18 CMA Awards, including Entertainer of the Year in 1993 and 1994. Gill is a member of the Grand Ole Opry, and has received 20 Grammy Awards to date, the most of any male Country artist. Besides being known for his talent as a performer, musician and songwriter, Gill is regarded as one of Country Music’s best known humanitarians, participating in hundreds of charitable events throughout his career. In August of 2007, the Country Music Association inducted Gill into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Amy Grant’s career spans over 25 years and stretches from her roots in gospel into an iconic pop star, songwriter, television personality, and philanthropist. Grant has sold more than 30 million albums and won six Grammys in multiple categories, beginning with the platinum selling Age to Age in 1982. She also has six #1 hits, including “Baby, Baby,” and “Every Heartbeat” and is one of only two Christian artists to be awarded a star on the legendary Walk of Fame in Hollywood.

March 11, 2014

Willie Nelson at Tuacahn

Willie Nelson at Tuacahn

Willie Nelson at Tuacahn

 

Fri, March 28, 2014

$59.50-$79.50

Call the Tuacahn Box Office today: 435-652-3300 Tuacahn.org

Guests attending Tuacahn shows and concerts receive a 10% discount on the regular room rate at BEST WESTERN Coral Hills.  Just show your tickets to the front desk agent at check in.

Willie Nelson has been an American Music Icon for decades. Nelson has over 2,500 songs and 300 albums under his belt. He is a member of the Grand Ole Opry, and in 1993 he was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame. Willie Nelson has received 11 Grammy Awards, 7 American Music Awards, and 9 CMA Awards including a Lifetime Achievement Award. In addition to his outstanding music career Nelson has had 38 television and movie appearances including The Electric Horseman filmed right here in Southern Utah.

 

 

Filed under: BW General Info,Concerts,Tuacahn — Tags: , , — admin @ 6:00 am

March 2, 2014

St. George Catholic Church

St. George, Utah Catholic Church, Click for Home Page

St. George, Utah Catholic Church, Click for Home Page

The St. George Catholic Church is located at 259 West 200 North, St. George Utah 84770  only three blocks away from Best Western Coral Hills.  Office: 435-673-2604, Rectory: 435-673-7354.  See below for a history of the Southern Utah Catholic congregation.

Click HERE for Mass times.

Click HERE for Mass times.

 

From the Washington County Historical Society:
In 1879, Father Lawrence Scanlan  established the St. John’s Catholic Church,  the Silver Reef Hospital,  and St. Mary’s School in Silver Reef.  At the invitation of his friend, John MacFarlane, a deputy U.S. mineral surveyor at Silver Reef,  Father Scanlan offered mass in the newly completed St. George Tabernacle.  The St. George Tabernacle choir sang and three thousand people attended the mass.  This was the first high mass celebrated in southern Utah.
In 1951, Bishop Hunt of the Salt Lake City Diocese of the Catholic Church purchased the old   Presbyterian Church and property.  For several years, the small chapel in this structure was used for mass.
The historic building was remodeled in 1958 to serve as a church with an adjoining rectory.  It was dedicated by Bishop Federal on June 8, 1958.
The St. George Parish was formally established in 1958.  It was administered jointly with Christ the King Parish in Cedar City,  since neither parish was large enough to accommodate a full-time priest.  Though there was only one resident Catholic family in St. George in 1958,  the church there served the needs of the influx of tourists during summer months.  They also cared to missions in Enterprise and Zion National Park.
In the 1970s, fifteen Catholic families were registered  at the church/rectory duplex on Main Street in St. George.  The resident pastor of Cedar City provided pastoral care throughout Washington County.
In 1979, under the supervision of John Lanham of Dammeron Valley,  the church was renovated and expanded to double the seating capacity.  Local residents paid the cost by raising $25,000,  and the Catholic Church Extension Society also assisted the project.
In 1981, landscaping was completed and an addition was made to the rectory  by contractors Jim Martin and Sal Grillo.
Also in 1981, two Holy Cross Sisters served as pastoral associates  to the five parishes in the Southwestern Deanery  of the Salt Lake Diocese and visited St. George regularly.
The St. George Parish received its first full-time priest in 1983.  Father James M. Greenwell (administrator of the parish from late 1980 to 1983)  served as the first full-time pastor during the year 1983.  He was also administrator of St. Christopher Parish in Kanab  during that year until Father Anthony Vollmer CPpS was named pastor there.
The Father Paul S. Kuzy CPpS became pastor in 1984.  At this time, there were 150 Catholic families and well over 250 members.  He also served Zion National Park as a station of the St. George Parish,   offering mass in the lodge there weekly from May through September.  During this time, a parish council was formed, a Newman Club  was started at Dixie College, and a parish thrift shop was opened.  Father Kuzy served until his death in the spring of 1997.
The old church building was torn down in 1990.  A new and larger white stucco Spanish-style building was constructed on the site in 1991.  That building with attached hall and offices was dedicated July 14, 1991 by Bishop Weigand.
A new social hall was dedicated December 14, 1995 by Bishop Niederauer,  and later named Kuzy Hall for the beloved pastor who died in 1997.  The church was then expanded to include the section previously used as a parish hall.
In 1998, the Metcalf property was purchased as a rectory.  The old rectory was demolished in 2003 and in 2005 the recently purchased rectory was renovated.
On March 13, 2005, Bishop Niederauer dedicated the new Bishop Scanlan Catholic Center,  which housed a large thrift store, parish classrooms, and offices.  Surrounding homes had been purchase to provide space for the expansion and required parking.
The present parish in St. George serves some 1,800 families  and also gathers people in Hurricane for mass, prayer, and socializing.
The future:
During the 1990s, with the assistance of benefactors as well as the Diocesan Development Drive,  the diocese purchased property at Washington City on the east side of St. George for a future church.  They also acquired ten acres in Hurricane, where the local Catholics have organized a thrift store  to begin raising funds for a church there at some future date.  In 2007 the diocese purchased property in the areas of Southgate and Ivins.