Harrisburg Ghost Town near St. George, Utah
CLIMATE: Cool winter with possible snow, warm summer.
COMMENTS: Right off I-15.
REMAINS: Many ruins.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime
One of the first settlements in the Southern Utah area was Harrisburg, founded in 1861 by Moses Harris and a few Mormon families who settled along Quail Creek. Despite their efforts in digging a 5-mile-long irrigation canal along what is now known as Leeds Creek, growth was hampered by rocky soil and limited land available for farming. Harrisburg came to be in 1862 when a flood destroyed the settlement of Harrisville and its residence were forced to move elsewhere. They named there new place of refinance Harrisburg after Moses Harris (the man who settled Harrisville). By 1864 128 people lived here, almost all the houses were made out of stone. In 1869 many people started to move away due to grasshopper plagues and flooding. Navajo Indian raids also chased many away. By around 1895 the last people had moved away and Harrisburg became a ghost town.
Today, remnants of a few pioneer homes and the restored Adams House are all that remain of Historic Harrisburg.
Today Interstate 15 runs right through the middle of the old town. The town sight left on east side of I15 is now a RV Camp. There are several old stone houses and walls left standing at this sight. A one lane road that goes under I15 from the RV Camp takes you over to what is left of Harrisburg on the west side of I15. Permission must be obtained from the RV Camp before going onto this property.
Harrisburg Ghosttown Near St. George, Utah
Staheli Corn Maze, St. George, Utah
Open: October 1st thru 31st
We’re a fifth-generation working farm in beautiful Washington, Utah. Our roots are deep in agriculture and family heritage! In the Spring and Summer, we have a Farm Market for fresh fruits and vegetables, and we host Community Garden plots. In the Fall, we have a large cornfield maze, pumpkin patch, farm hayrides, and Halloween Haunted events. Don’t miss our annual Field of Screams — a haunted cornfield! It’s farm fresh fun for all ages!
Field of Screams in St. George, Utah
Open: October 1st thru 31st
A simple cornfield turned into a haven for ghosts and goblins — a FIELD OF SCREAMS — just the thing to scare innocent boys and ‘ghouls’!
Every turn provokes screams from even the bravest of the brave. It’s the ultimate scare — on Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights: dark to 11pm (Mon thru Sat the week of halloween).
$10 per person
Includes haunted maze and farm attractions
3400 S Washington Fields Rd
Washington, UT 84780
Maynard Dixon Living History Museum
In 1939, Maynard Dixon and his young wife, artist Edith Hamlin, left their long-held studios and careers in San Francisco and headed for the magnificence and fresh air of Southern Utah. They purchased a 20 acres, set in a grove of cottonwood trees, in the small town of Mt. Carmel, Utah on historic U.S. Route 89 where they soon built a log style home. Under a two hour drive from St. George. At this location they spent many days painting the beauty of the region, and the pastoral scenes of the area’s numerous farms. Many friends came to visit Maynard and Edith, sharing the opportunity to paint while soaking up the southern Utah sun.
After Maynard Dixon’s death in 1946, Edith, following her deceased husband’s wishes, scattered Maynard’s ashes on a hill overlooking the house and studio. She subsequently established a memorial site with a bronze plaque depicting Maynard’s signature logo, the Thunderbird. Edith kept the house until 1963, when she sold it to her artist friend, acclaimed watercolorist Milford Zornes. Zornes and his wife Pat hosted numerous art workshops on the property.
In 1998 the home was privately purchased and restored to its original glory. The non-profit The Thunderbird Foundation for the Arts, was established, and the home is now a mecca for artist retreats, tours, workshops and the annual Maynard Dixon Country Art Invitational held each year in August. It is a
The Bingham Gallery is built on the neighboring property to showcase the finest art ever produced in the American Southwest. To schedule tours or artists retreats, or for more about the Thunderbird Foundation and Maynard Dixon, visit www.thunderbirdfoundation.com or call (435) 648-2653.
Among the most beautiful building in St. George—and an excellent example of fine old-world craftsmanship, from the hand-quarried red stone walls to the intricate interior woodwork. Its craftsmen finished pine, which was all they had, to look like exotic hardwoods and even marble. Completed in 1876 after 13 years of work, the Tabernacle served as a house of worship and town meeting hall. During the 1880s, when a nearby silver strike brought many Catholics to the area, the Tabernacle was used for a Roman Catholic High Mass led by a Roman Catholic priest, but with music from the liturgy sung by the local Mormon choir—in Latin. Today, the Tabernacle functions as a community center, presenting free weekly concerts and other cultural events. The guided tour takes about half an hour.
At Tabernacle St
18 S. Main St
St. George, Utah
Parking: Summer daily 9am-6pm; rest of year daily 9am-5pm
Price: ALL guided tours, concerts, and presentations are FREE. See schedule of events in the front office of the Best Western Coral Hills.