The St. George Catholic Church is located at 259 West 200 North
St. George, UT 84770 only three blocks from Best Western Coral Hills.
In 1879, Father Lawrence Scanlan established the St. John’s Catholic Church, the Silver Reef Hospital, and St. Mary’s School in Silver Reef. At the invitation of his friend, John MacFarlane, a deputy U.S. mineral surveyor at Silver Reef, Father Scanlan offered mass in the newly completed St. George Tabernacle. The St. George Tabernacle choir sang and three thousand people attended the mass. This was the first high mass celebrated in southern Utah.
For further information on the history of Catholic Church development and construction in the St. George go to the Washington County Historical Society Website.
For further information on attending mass and other church functions please visit the St. George go to www.saintgeorgecatholics.com or call (435)673-2604.